Monday, February 8, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure Books Are Fun For Kids


Want to get your boys and girls interested in reading or making reading a bit more interactive for preschoolers? I recommend getting some “Choose Your Own Adventure” books.

I first heard about these books at church of all places. The guest speaker was speaking about choices and he mentioned that as a kid he really hated to read except for the “Choose Your Own Adventure” books by R. A. Montgomery. He liked these because his mom was pleased to see him reading a book but the great thing about these are that you don’t have to read the WHOLE book. You get to pick from several choices a certain points and then it directs you to turn to page __ and you get to skip pages that way. I was intrigued so looked for them the next time I went to the library.

There are a whole lot in this series! They are all small but left some on the shelf for kids and just took these five to start:

Prisoner of the Ant People
The Abominable Snowman
Tattoo of Death
Trouble on Planet Earth
Project UFO


I was eager to see just what these were like so started reading “The Abominable Snowman” at the library while waiting on Gerard to choose his books. It was a great adventure! The thing is, it makes you want to go back and see what happens if you picked the other choices so it kept me wanting to read more. Some choices result in failure, some in moderate success and some in great success. It’s fun to try to get the best finish on your first try.

I could just picture reading this to a little kid and seeing their excitement over which choices to choose. I highly recommend these books to anyone who has children. They are both fun and somewhat educational. They definitely will bring out your sense of adventure! You can order directly from www.cyoa.com. I look forward to reading this whole series—they are so much fun and short. Great for bathroom reading material!

These books even have a little quiz on the book in the back plus at least in “The Abominable Snowman” one of the choices was to “open the backpack to investigate it’s contents” that directed the reader to a secret online ending!

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

8 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Karen;) I popped over for a visit and like what I see. I'll be back. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Anonymous said...

Read them as a kid.

Love them, love them, love them!

Oh, the memories.

Are those new books, or are they old-school?

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Jo: Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I have quite a variety of things here. You never know what you'll find.

Gringationcancun: I think these are probably older ones since I found them all on the library shelf. You can probably find out what ones are recent at the website.

Helene said...

Those sound like amazing books!! I think my kids would like them! Thanks for sharing!

BeadedTail said...

Those books sounds wonderful and fun for kids and kids at heart!

BLOGitse said...

oh, you do have a lot of books here!

stopping by from SITS - it's my sitstablogs exploring time... :)

BLOGitse

Rachel Lundy said...

I used to read books like that as a child, and I really liked them.

Thanks for visiting me on my SITS day. :)

baby names said...

I used to go to the public library and get these books that you need dice to play.They were role playing,like you would create a character,and play along as the book went through the story.

Post a Comment