Thursday, November 28, 2013

What Are 5th Grade Boys Thankful For?


I teach a Sunday School class of 5th grade boys so last week we played a little game like Scattegories. I asked them to write down things they really are thankful for in three minutes and for every item on your list that no one else had, they got a point. (The one with the most points got a piece of candy.) Here are some of the things they are thankful for:

No. 1 answer: God/Jesus, family, food
No. 2 answer: house/home
No. 3 answer: animals/pets, water, school/teachers
No. 4 answer: friends/clothes

Then came the original things:
Bible, life, air, plants, electricity, technology, iPods, cars, trucks, holidays, forgiveness, laughter, art, girls, love, paper, nature, colors, Steve Jobs, Guy who created skateboards, guns, good health, heaven, oxygen, photosynthesis, the President, government, light, snow, church, milk, warmth/heat, and toys.
I thought they did a very good job on their lists!

Things I am thankful for that haven't already been mentioned are:

answered prayer, my husband, a good job, steady employment, indoor plumbing, blue skies, cooks, restaurants, stores, sports, buses, and that I live in the USA.

When  I see pictures and hear about the poor living conditions many people around the world deal with every day, it breaks my heart.  That is why I love going through the World Vision, Samaritan's Purse and The Jesus Film Catalogs that list many needy projects and choosing ones I want to donate to.  Instead of ordering another wool shirt that cost $105 for my husband who already has lots of shirts and several others I am buying for him, I donated that $100 to World Vision where my donation is multiplied by 8 for Christmas gifts which include: 
  • Nutritious food
  • Warm clothes
  • Sturdy boots
  • Books, toys, and games
  • Vital medicines
  • And more

Now that was money well spent!  I hope you will join me in this.

Joining up with Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop:  Something you are thankful for. 


Share this:

5 comments:

Sandee said...

Our giving this year is way up. We donate every single month. Times are hard for so many.

The kids did a great job.

Have a fabulous day and a blessed Thanksgiving. ☺

Sam_I_am said...

Every year, the employees at my husband's job buy a goat and 2 chickens, for those in poor countries, in the store owners honor. It's a lovely gesture!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful Sunday school activity! I love their items of thanks,

KatBouska said...

Between the 4 answers I'd say they are pretty spot on!

Diane said...

I'm pretty big on photosynthesis myself ;)

Post a Comment