Tonight we as a church are inviting the community to attend a free Thanksgiving meal. We did this last year and had about 250 attend but I was not involved. This year, they said they needed more help because we are expecting around 500! I am taking the day off so I can help with this and am so excited to see how we are going to feed that many people a good hot meal! Don't worry, I am not one that will be in the kitchen cooking. I will be waiting on tables so I hope I don't drop anything. This morning, I will help set up.
This is a picture I took early Sunday morning of just one of the areas where we have sorted the food brought in by our members to give away to each family attending the dinner. By the time I left, there was another area of tables set up right across from this that was full too. Then last night, I saw another bunch of tables filled with groceries for the giveaway.
As of yesterday at noon, here is a list of what was brought in for tonight's community Thanksgiving dinner:
- 2,825 items have been donated just for the food drive alone!
- 214 people are currently signed up to help out in some way tomorrow night.
- 117 pounds of potatoes will be peeled and mashed.
- 60 pumpkin and apple pies will be consumed.
- 14 twenty-three pound turkeys have given their lives. :-) Thanksgiving isn't fun and games for everyone!