Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Sharing: Everyone Wants Our Money!

Boxes for Operation Christmas Child at church
These last few months it seems every day we get solicitations for donations to charities in the mail (American Bible Society, the City Mission, Lakota School, Operation Christmas Child, animal rescues), the church has lots of projects going on that need money (Pastor appreciation month, food baskets, pantry, pavilion building project, groceries for the community dinner, support for the missions team to Haiti and items for them to take, running behind budget) and then there are the disasters (the Philippines) that occur in the world that I just can't help but feeling compelled to include a donation for the relief effort.

I was getting to the place where I was becoming overwhelmed and blew up a couple Sundays ago when the Pastor wondered why the general offerings have been low and we are running behind budget.  I am a giving person but even I was feeling pressure and said enough already!  But then God through his word spoke to my heart and reminded of of a few things:

1)  My Sunday School lessons this month are on laying up treasure in heaven (Matthew 6:19--24), sharing what we have with others (Luke 12:13-21), and making loving and obeying God my top priority (Matthew 6:33).

2)  Last Sunday, I read I Chronicles 29 about King David asking the people to contribute materials for the temple his son Solomon would build and how he even gave out of his personal things to set the example.  They got lots of materials and David celebrated praising the Lord before the people saying:

 Lord, you are great and powerful.  You have glory, victory and honor.  Everything in heaven and on earth belongs to you.  The kingdom belongs to you, Lord.  You are the ruler over everything.  Riches and honor come from you.  You rule everything.  You have the power and strength to make anyone great and strong.  Now, our God, we thank you.  And we praise your glorious name.  These things did not really come from me and my people.  Everything comes from you.  We have given you back what you gave us.  . . . Lord our God, we have gathered all this to build your Temple.  We will build it for worship to you.  But everything has come from you.  Everything belongs to you.  I know, my God, that you test people's hearts.  You are happy when people do what is right.  I was happy to give all these things.  I gave with an honest heart.  Your people gathered here are happy to give to you.  I am happy to see their giving.  Lord, you are the God of our ancestors.  You are the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  Please help your people to want to serve you always.  And help them to want to obey you always.  Give my son a strong desire to serve you.  Help him always obey your commands, laws and rules.  Help him build the Temple for which I have prepared. - I Chronicles 29:11-14, 16-19 (ICB) [ emphasis added]
This reminder that all I have is from the Lord and it's all his was just what I needed to get my heart back on track and be the cheerful giver God loves.  I am now looking forward to the community dinner, cheerfully bringing my groceries to share and volunteered to help at it as well. 

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity:  for God loveth a cheerful giver.  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:  (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor:  his righteousness remaineth for ever.--II Corinthians 9:6-9 (KJV)
3)  Other scripture came to mind as well.  This is why it is so important to read God's Word every day and memorize it so that when we get off track with the Lord, His powerful word can speak to our hearts and bring us back.

And let us not be weary in well doing:  for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.  As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. --Galatians 6:9-10 (KJV)  
4)  Then, last week the Pastor's sermon was on James 2:17 which says:

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
I love when God speaks to my heart because it shows proves He is a personal God who loves me.  I think it is so cool how He knows just what I need and gives it to me.  How about you?  Has God spoke to you this week about anything in particular?  I encourage you to read the Bible every day.  It will change your life if you have an open heart that is seeking to know God better and obey Him.

Share this:

3 comments:

Sandee said...

I don't let people pressure me into anything. I'll give where I want to give and not be pressured to do anything else. I can so relate to how you were feeling though.

Have a fabulous day. :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

As the economy worsens, requests will increase. I have a few to whom I give and it's all to further God's word or to help other Christians. No one can force me to give where I don't want to give and when they try, they get marked off my list.

Gattina said...

I think the politicians of the whole world should read your post ! They put us in this mess !

Post a Comment