Friday, May 3, 2013

6 Friday Fragments (books, news, weather, Twitter, events)


Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. Here we go:

WKYC Favorited My Tweet


Karen Zemek

@wkyc The Indians need to spread out their runs among several games. All wins count the same; doesn't matter how many runs scored.

05:28 AM - 29 Apr 13

Favorited by



WKYC Channel 3 News
WKYC Channel 3 News @wkyc
News, weather, sports and information for #Cleveland & #NortheastOhio. #NBC affiliate. We #SeeThePossible.

Quran Oath Controversy

Although the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress reenacted taking his oath on the Quran instead of the Bible like everyone else apparently happened back in 2006, I just heard about it this week: Quran oath controversy of the 110th United States Congress. I'm not sure how I feel about this, what do you think of it?

Weather

We've had gorgeous weather all week! I am so energized when the sun shines and is stays light longer! Temperatures were in the upper 60s to 79 all week so got outside and walked during my breaks again. My favorite walk was to the bank to deposit our tax refund checks! Here is is, May and the Twins ballgame got snowed out. Even the schools closed, it was that bad! So glad I do not live there.


Favorite Reads


love water memory
Orphan Train

Our favorite reads for April were: love, water, memory by Jennie Shortridge (Gerard's), and Orphan Train--a novel by Cristina Baker Kline which we both loved. Click the links to see our reviews.
Check out or book giveaways for HER and BUNKER HILL.

Huge Garage Sale

If you live in our area, Parma Heights Christian Academy on Ridgewood Drive is having their annual garage sale. This is huge! We donated some items, a wonderful opportunity to declutter! It is from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 4.

Funny Clothes

I think the funniest sight I saw this week when walking on my break was a man walking down the street wearing bright green pants with a red plaid shirt! I did a double-take, couldn't believe he wore that combination. The bright green pants alone would have got my attention, but with the red plaid shirt it made me wonder if he was perhaps color blind and had no wife.  This was a young guy, not an old geezer.  I would have taken a picture if I had my camera with me, but it was at my desk at work.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Share this:

6 comments:

Sandee said...

Your anonymous comment is spam. I hate spammers.

Koran. Don't get me started. Don't get me started.

Have a terrific day. :)

BeadedTail said...

We've been having gorgeous weather too which makes me want to go outside instead of staying inside working on jewelry or cleaning house! Clearly that guy had no wife! LOL! You made me giggle at that!

Stacy Uncorked said...

AHAHAHA! I love your observation that the guy sporting the bright green pants and red plaid shirt must be color blind or have no wife. Or, maybe we has channeling Santa Claus. ;)

We've been having amazing weather this week, too - I love it when it's actually spring and doesn't fast-forward to summer heat. :)

Kaley Cuoco is Adorable even with a Helmet Head, Princess Nagger Frog-Watching: Fragmenting for a Clean Brain-Slate

Kay said...

Hahaha, I can picture that crazy clothing choice.

I haven't heard of this Quran oath controversy, but if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't not swear upon any other religious text. So I am thinking that in this instance, I will agree to their freedoms because I want to keep mine. The moment you give the power to push a religion on another, it can turn ugly for whoever ends up at the bottom of the heap.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

If one is elected or appointed to serve in any official USA capacity, they SHOULD swear an oath on the Bible. A pox on any other.

Karen and Gerard said...

Sandee: Ha, ha. I understand completely! I hesitated including the Quran fragment because it is controversial and political.

Beaded Tail: Glad I could make you giggle, sorry I didn't get a picture. It was really a sight to see.

Stacy: This weather is really nice! I agree it's nice to have pleasant spring weather before the hot sweaty days get here. The green pants weren't the dark Christmas green, but a bright spring green.

Tettelestai: True, however, this is the USA government we are talking about that has "In God We Trust" still on our currency and that was founded on Christian principles. The Quran is very much against Christianity.

Yet, I'm sure since the guy is a Muslim, swearing on the Holy Bible would have no significance to him.

Tettelestai's email response of 5/4 6:54 p.m.:
Oh believe me, I understand that. We are a military family and more often than not, Christianity is attacked severely. I also agree that our country was founded on Biblical principles. It's just at the principal level, once we force a person to perform a duty against their religious conviction, that can be turned against us.

For instance. Right now, my hubby is an Army chaplain. He is protected against doing anything contrary to his convictions (gay marriage, performing Wiccan rituals). He can say "I won't do that" and direct them to a chaplain who will. If we take that freedom from another religion, it will quickly be taken away from Christians. Freedom for them means freedom for me.

Trust me when I say I am very conservative and hole pretty confessional beliefs Biblically. I just don't want to see my freedom of religion removed. See what I mean?? If we could return to a Theocracy, I would love it. I have the hope that one day, Christ will reign on this earth and sin will be eradicated from it. The bible says it will be, and these are turning into days when I await it eagerly.

MY RESPONSE via email 5/4: I am not really into politics but it does seem our nation is no longer Godly and it just seems to be going down fast. I too look forward to the day when Christ rules on earth. I see your point but in my mind, the congressman knew what the routine involved and chose to run for office anyway.

Tettelestai's email response 5/4, 8:29 p.m.: You are probably exactly right. He knew this would come up and wanted to make a statement. It is one more sad shift away :-( If he can swear on something other than the bible, then others will want to do anything other than swear on the bible. Removing Godly morals and standards leaves us in a bad place :-(

Thistle Cove Farm: Thanks for sharing your opinion. I tend to agree with you, yet wonder if that would have any meaning at all for the Muslim (which I sincerely doubt).

Post a Comment