Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Spaghetti Dinner and Dessert Auction--What Fun!

There were so many great looking desserts!
I went to the spaghetti dinner/dessert auction at church last Sunday determined to bid this year but didn't want to go over $50. It was a fun time and the youth raised a lot of money for their mission trip to Haiti and camp for this summer. I love seeing the boys I taught when they were in fifth grade continue to be actively involved in the youth group. There were over 50 desserts auctioned and when bids reached $100, all the servers did a cute little dance. If someone bid $200, they got to smash a cream pie in the face of a Pastor of their choice who were all good sports.

Oreo cake
The Oreo cake was the first item I bid on but it went for $60 to a kid one table over from me.

Four of the teens were auctioned off: two for yard work, one for housework and one for child care for four hours each.  David and John (the two for yard work) were the first item to get a $200 bid, but the lady who bid said she didn’t want to throw the pie so she let John do it. He chose to throw it at his dad, our main Pastor.

Kraig, the worship Pastor got chosen twice, and the Pastor of Youth and Pastor of Outreach all got included too. Pam, the children’s minister almost escaped until she and her mother got into a bidding contest for the candy cake baked by Kylie (her niece and fellow puppeteer) which finally went to Pam’s mother for $300! That was the highest bid of the day! (I bid on her cake too, but wasn't about to go anywhere near that high.)

Servers Mallory and Kylie (baker of the candy cake that went for $300)


The spaghetti was good too. The teens were the servers and the Family Life Center was full with a good crowd of people all willing to support the youth. It was a fun afternoon and my server, Mallory (a fellow puppeteer), was kind enough to keep bringing me brownies for dessert—I had four! I was excited to bid this year and got the item I most wanted for just $45: a strawberry chiffon pie! It was a fun few hours from noon to 3:00, an hour later than anticipated!

Lots of people went home happy with delicious desserts.  This lady who was at my table bought the cupcake bouquet--actually, her husband bid on it.  Another couple at my table bought the coconut cookies and a cake.

Here is a video showing some highlights of the event and all the desserts, including the dessert I bought:


P.S.  I tried to take notes and record all the bids but sometimes it was hard to tell which cherry pie it actually was although the bunt cake in the box sold for $30, there was another chocolate peanut butter bunt cake with a container that went for $200.  Since I didn't have a good picture of that one, in the video I used the bunt cake in the box for the $200 bid.

This is a great fund-raiser and I am already looking forward to bidding again next year!  How much would you bid for a cake or cookies?  Here's a link to Parma Heights Baptist Church where you can see upcoming events and learn more about it.

Share this:

7 comments:

Nani said...

Fun video! The blueberry cheesecake looks wonderful (although I'm not a blueberry fan, it just looks great!) I'd have a hard time affording over $50 too but that Oreo cake looks so yummy! It looks like it was a great time and a good fundraiser.

Sandee said...

How fun and what a turnout you had. Wow, that's a lot of folks. Great cause too.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Marie said...

What a great event! It sounds like everyone got in on the action - and had a great time doing it. Good for you.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

What a fun creative event to raise money. I enjoyed reading about it.

BeadedTail said...

Looks like everyone had a great time! Wonderful idea for a fundraiser! The desserts look yummy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kara said...

Aren't auctions fun? We had one here just a couple weeks ago to benefit our church's private school. I forget how high stuff goes for until I go to another auction! It's crazy the amount of money people are willing to give for things. But then again, it is in support for great causes. Fun video! :)

Post a Comment