Friday, April 6, 2012

5 Things We Learned This Week 15 of 2012 (charity, ants, safety, MLB)

 
Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. We like to share what we've learned each week.
  1. Comments For Charity

    The total comments for March on our blogs was 216 so we donated $108 to The American Cancer Society, split between Louise at Country Pictures and Mrs. 4444 and her Difference Makers at Half-Past Kissin' Time. For April, our charity is the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
  2. Ants

    Over at Modern Mom, I found out ants hate coffee. She suggests putting dry coffee grounds in a paper bag on your counters and in cupboards where you found ants and could also spread some around the perimeter of your house to keep them away.
  3. Crime Prevention

    I attended a Street Smart Crime Prevention at work and learned several things regarding personal safety, one of which was not to walk and read at the same time which I used to do every day on my breaks and at lunch. I posted my notes on this blog in case you missed them, here are the links: Part 1, Part 2.
  4. Orange and April

    I learned this week that April is Animal Cruelty Awareness month and the color to wear is orange to show your support. (Kind of like pink for breast cancer.) You can donate to the American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) to support this cause. 
  5. Longest Opener

    The Cleveland Indians lost to the Royals  Toronto Blue Jays in their home opener thanks to a blown save in the 9th that launched the game into 16 innings, the longest opener in the history of major league baseball. “I feel terrible,” said Perez. “Everyone did their job today but me.” This makes four losses in a row for Cleveland home openers. Oh, and out of the 16 innings, the Indians only scored in one of them. On a brighter note, they had a pretty good season last year so I'm still optimistic. It was cold too, not good baseball weather. I felt sorry for the players and the fans who went. See: Wrong Side of History--Indians Lose Longest Opening Day Game.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE--HOPE YOU ALL ATTEND A CHURCH THIS SUNDAY TO CELEBRATE JESUS CHRIST'S RESURRECTION  AND OUR NEW LIFE IN HIM!

Have some marshmallow eggs too--they are my favorite Easter candy!

(50 cents per legitimate comment during April goes to Paralyzed Veterans of America--maybe next month will be ASPCA.)

 Share this:

10 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I wonder if the coffee grounds idea actually works - - - we could spread them all over our front yard which literally just CRAWLS with ants.

viridian said...

Who knew about ants and coffee grounds? I certainly didn't.

Lucky Lady said...

Thank you so much for your donation, you both must be the most thoughtful people ever all the good you do, God bless and keep you safe always

Hootin Anni said...

I will most definitely TRY the coffee grounds around the foundation of the house...we always have fire ants down here in my area of Texas and I don't like 'em 'cause they bite ferociously.

Thanks for the tip.

My Fragmented Hour --it'll knock your socks off

Wayne W Smith said...

The Indians actually lost to the Blue Jays in 16 innings. It was quite the game.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I think the tip of using coffee to get rid of ants is really interesting. I forwarded the link to a friend who has an ant problem in her house. Maybe it will help a little bit.

Greetings from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

BeadedTail said...

I don't like coffee either so who knew I had something in common with ants! Baseball is always a sign of spring to me so I'm glad the games have begun! We still root for the Rockies even if we don't live in CO any longer.

florida gator forum said...

A Florida Gator sports blog that covers every game, roster, exclusive
player interviews, and much more. It is your source for Florida Gator
news. Come check out the forum and discuss Heisman trophy winner Tim
Tebow and the rest of the Gators.

Mrs4444 said...

Sorry about your team, Karen. Good thing they play a lot of games :)

Thanks, again, for the donation! :)

I did not know that about coffee and ants. I just might have to try that, as I've seen a few in the past few days!

Happy Easter, Karen :) Have a great week! (and I hope the Easter Bunny brought you a marshmallow egg :)

jewel said...

A Florida Gator sports blog that covers every game, roster, exclusive
player interviews, and much more. It is your source for Florida Gator
news. Come check out the forum and discuss Heisman trophy winner Tim
Tebow and the rest of the Gators.

Post a Comment