Friday, April 13, 2012

6 Things We Learned This Week 16 of 2012 (golf, words, TV, zoo, animals)

 
Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. We like to share what we've learned each week.


  1. Bubba

    I was thrilled to see an unknown golfer (art least to me) win the Masters this year.  Bubba Watson won using a pink driver! Here's a link to the post I did about him: Congratulations, Bubba!

  2. New Talk Show

    Guess who is going to have a talk show in September. . . Jeff Probst, the host of Survivor! I'm going to DVR it at least for a week to check it out. I like him and am curious as to what topics he'll be talking about. He twittered about it.
  3. Zoo News

    Aye-Aye (image source: Zoo magazine)
    A new animal that I never heard of arrived: the aye aye. It is a small animal with big ears, long claws that looks kind of like a lemur. Here's a link to National Geographic to learn more about this unusual creature from Madagascar.

  4. May 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., people can come ride their bikes all through the Cleveland zoo!

  5. Kallie, a 29-yr.-old female elephant arrived from the Pittsburgh zoo and already knows three of the ones here from being with them before.
  6. Doula

    This is a word I just heard last night at our Women of Wonder ("W.O.W.") meeting from one of the ladies at my table who said she wants to be one. I had no idea what it was, but she explained it's someone (a non-medical) person who focuses on supporting a woman giving birth, kind of like a labor coach. According to Wikipedia, the goal of a doula is to ensure the mother feels safe and confident before, during and after delivery.

(50 cents per legitimate comment during April goes to Paralyzed Veterans of America.) Share this:

9 comments:

Lin said...

I knew about:

1. Bubba. Thanks to Joe.
2. What a doula is. The minute you get pregnant, someone hands you a book with all the wonderful (?) thing that are going to happen to you. A doula comes well-recommended, although I have never known anyone who has used one.

Cool about Probst and riding your bike through the zoo. Is that 5:30 a.m.?

Keetha Broyles said...

The guys on PTI interviewd Bubba (whose REAL first name is Gerry, btw) last night. I was very impressed with him.

Hootin Anni said...

Doula....interesting word. Kinda like a midwife then, maybe?

I LOVE zoos!!! I've been known to travel miles and miles to get a glimpse of a 'new and unusual' addition.

It's cute...looks sweet, except for those claws, I bet it could rip you a new one.

Hootin Anni said...

ps....just read Lins comment on Doula...hmmmm, guess it's NOT like a midwife at all. LOL

Actingbalanced said...

A friend of mine is a doula and labor coach is a pretty fair description... although I also like the term advocate...

Sandee said...

I was very happy about Bubba's win too. I'd never heard of him before. Nice to see the underdog win for a change.

Have a terrific weekend. :)

BeadedTail said...

Jeff Probst doing a talk show? I can't quite imagine that one. The aye aye is cute! Tomorrow Packy the elephant is celebrating his 50th birthday at the Portland zoo! They showed video of him a few days old back in 1962 and he was on the early news this morning eating bananas. Seems like he's had a great life!

Wayne W Smith said...

The Masters was great fun.

Kay said...

A doula is a wonderful birthing option. Our insurance didn't offer them, but the folks I know who used them said it was unlike any birthing they had been through yet. Very relaxing to have someone completely focused on you and knowing you very well.

Post a Comment