Friday, April 20, 2012

6 Things We Learned This Week 17 of 2012 (books, food, brain, work, TV)

 
Image source:  Amazon
Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. We like to share what we've learned each week.
  1. Jackson Galaxy

    At The Conscious Cat this week I learned that Jackson Galaxy of the Animal Planet show "My Cat From Hell" has four cats and a dog. He also has written a book which comes out in May called Cat Daddy: What the World’s Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean.

  2. Christian Author


    I discovered a new [to me] Christian author this week, Ann Tatlock who wrote Promises to Keep. It kept my interest all through and had a surprise ending, unlike most Christian fiction books I've read. This is about two little girls, one white, one black who are best friends and make a "daddy deal" to pray for each other every day that their friend would get back together with her daddy. The theme is that God always answers our prayers, but not always in the way we want Him to or that we expect Him to. (Click on the link to see my review.)
  3. Work

    When helping in our Accounting Dept. at work this week due to s shortage of people, I learned how to print out the draft bills, final bills, and office personals. Time always flies by when you are doing something new, doesn't it?
  4. Asparagus

    According to an email I received, asparagus is supposedly a great food to prevent cancer, so I tried a sample at Giant Eagle. YUCK! I think it was the sauce that was on it that I really didn't like so I do want to give this another try. It comes in a big bunch though and I don't want to buy that much in case I don't like it. Any suggestions?
  5. Harry's Law

    I saw the previews of this show and thought it looked like something I would like so I've watched two episodes and found that I do like it. Both times the case was interesting and the court trial is very quick. I also like the prosecuting attorney. Harry is a gray-haired lady who runs the firm.
  6. Brain Performance

    I had time to try lumosity.com and like it. Each game you play on Lumosity belongs to a brain area: Memory, Attention, Speed, Flexibility, or Problem Solving. By doing 15-minute training sessions regularly, it should increase your brain performance index which measures your cognitive performance.  My favorite games are bird watching and Familiar Faces.  My strongest area so far is memory and problem solving and my weakest speed (no surprise there).  Have you tried this yet?

(50 cents per legitimate comment during April goes to Paralyzed Veterans of America.)

Share this:

8 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Thanks for the link to the brain exercises. Good idea. I'll have to check out the Cat Author, too when I have time. Any day now...

Wayne W Smith said...

I love learning new aspects to my job. It really does stretch you and makes time fly by.

Tami said...

Asparagus is good when seasoned with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Then you grill it. The only way I will eat asparagus.

viridian said...

Follow tami's recipe. Or put it under the brolier in your oven.
I need brain exercises myself!

BeadedTail said...

Asparagus is something I want to try too but haven't yet. My hubby likes Harry's Law but I haven't seen a full episode. I do like Kathy Bates so I bet I'd like it.

Keetha Broyles said...

I LOVE asparagus - - - the fresher the better, though be sure to scrub off the dirt or it will be "grainy."

I LOVE it with cheddar cheese sauce on it - - - but just letting grated cheddar melt over the hot buttered asparagus is yummy too, and much easier than making cheese sauce.

Mrs4444 said...

I've heard a lot about Luminosity but haven't tried it. Is there a fee for the part you're using?

I was always grossed out by asparagus, but then one day, it was prepared for me the way Tami suggested. Now, I love it! Also, my grocery store bundles it in a big bunch, too, but it's sold by the pound, so I just divide the bundle in two, put my half in a bag, and leave the other half for someone like-minded.

nancygrayce said...

We sautee asparagus on the grill and it is wonderful to my husband....I just don't like the texture.

Thanks for the luminosity link! I really need to work on keeping my brain sharp!

Post a Comment