Thursday, April 19, 2012

8 Reasons I like Our Awning


When we first bought our house, the porch had an awning but then several years ago when we got a new roof, the roofer removed the awning because it was in the way of doing the roof.  We went without one for about 3-4 years I think and found that I missed it.  We finally had this new one installed and I am so glad to have an awning again for the following reasons:
  1. When it is raining, we have shelter when unlocking the door to get in so we don't get all wet (assuming we had an umbrella).

  2. When it rains, our porch chairs won't fill up with water as much.

  3. When we leave a bag of clothes out for the Salvation Army or Veterans of America, the bag (or box) won't get wet now if it rains and fall apart.

  4. On hot summer days when it is raining lightly, we can still sit outside on the porch.

  5. It provides shade so on warm sunny days I can sit on the porch and read without getting a headache from the sun or having to squint. Abby prefers lying in the shade too as opposed to the sun on hot days.

  6. In the winter, we won't have ice right outside our front door anymore and won't need to shovel the porch off.

  7. We now have something to hang a wind chime on again or a hanging basket of flowers.

  8. I think it looks better with the awning than without it. Without it, it looked too open and unfinished.


Now if I could just find a way to keep the bees from coming on our porch. Already when we were sitting on the porch reading on Sunday, a big yellow jacket came flying through and then came near me on its next visit. I HATE those things and went inside shortly after. I felt like "Little Miss Muffet" except it was a bee that chased me away instead of a spider.


(50 cents per legitimate comment during April goes to Paralyzed Veterans of America.)

Share this:

9 comments:

Alice said...

That looks like a wonderful place to spend a summer evening;)

Lin said...

That does look nice to sit out there! I'll bet it will be fun to sit out there on summer evenings and watch the goings-on with the neighborhood.

Beth Ann Chiles said...

It looks like it is perfect!! I love it and I can imagine sitting on the porch reading, swatting bees...:-) Hopefully you will figure out how to get rid of them! I agree---I have a bad memory of bumble bees...may have to blog about that some day!!! :-)
Love the awning and know you will have a lot of time enjoying it!

Karen said...

Your house is beautiful. I hope someone comes up with good advice on keeping the yellow jackets away. They are mean.

BeadedTail said...

The awning makes your house look so welcoming! What a wonderful place to sit and watch the world go by!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

I enjoyed finishing reading my library book on my Kindle last night with Abby until she kept barking at a dog across the street and wouldn't stop so then I took her in and went back out. It was a beautiful evening--up to 72 and sunny. Glad you all like my new awning too!

MarytheKay said...

I really love your awning! It makes your front porch look so friendly and inviting! :-)

Mrs4444 said...

It looks really great; I agree with MarytheKay.

I didn't realize that those organizations pick stuff up--That's great.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I really like it, too. I want to get one for the back window, as the summer sun comes right in, and it gets hot! Enjoy your porch!

Post a Comment