Thursday, July 7, 2011

Karen’s Top 10 TV Shows (Writer's Workshop)

One of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompts this week is to List your top 10 TV shows that you would like to see make a comeback.  Wow, this was a trip down memory lane!  Here is my list:

McHale's Navy - Season One
McHale’s Navy:  I liked how clever McHale was and how he had the respect of his men.  The PT-73 crew was a well-functioning group of men.  This show was just fun to watch.

Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season
Hogan’s Heroes:  I liked this show for the same reasons as I liked McHale’s Navy.  Guess I am fascinated by good leadership and admire good leaders.  It didn’t hurt that Bob Crane was such a handsome man with a cute grin either. 

Gilmore Girls: The Complete Seventh Season
Gilmore Girls:  This was such a cute show and I loved the relationship between mother and daughter and that Rory was a good teen who got along well with her mom instead of a brat.  I loved the mother’s witty humor in this show.

Kid Nation Poster TV 27x40 Jonathan Karsh Morgan Wood Markelle Gay
Kid Nation:  I was sad to see this once canceled so quickly.  I really enjoyed watching the kids run their little community and the group dynamics involved.  The leadership angle again was a fascination for me.  I taped most of the season.

Family Ties - The Complete First Season
Family Ties:  I liked this show because the premise was different--clever, nice kids with former hippie parents.  Alex was so obsessed about money and extremely practical that he was funny so I liked this character the best.  I learned a lot about the actor Michael J. Fox when I read his autobiography, Lucky Man, which is very sad.



The Addams Family
Adams Family:  I thought this show was very funny about this very strange family living in a big spooky house with a creepy butler and thing.  My favorite character was Gomaz but I liked Morticia too.  It was a very silly show, full of creativity.  I even got the game!

The Facts of Life - The Complete First & Second Seasons
Facts of Life:  This was a show I enjoyed because of the cast.  I liked the idea of Mrs. Garrett having the four girls to guide and sort of be their surrogate mom while at the boarding school.  I loved how Blair and Jo were so opposite and always seemed to be teasing each other but eventually became friends. 

Leave it to Beaver: Season Three
Leave It to Beaver:  I always liked watching this one because to me growing up, it was a normal family similar to mine (except for the mother and father being dressed up all the time) and I liked seeing what trouble the Beaver would get into next.  My favorite character was his older brother Wally played by Tony Dow.  I liked that the father was in charge, sensible and not stupid but not perfect either.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Series
Mary Tyler Moore:  The writing in this show was great!  I loved the humor and liked that it showed Mary’s complete life, in her tiny apartment hanging with her best friend, Rhoda, and also at work at the news station.  Again, the outstanding cast of characters and the writing made this show a classic!

Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 1 

Little House on the Prairie:  We also read the autobiographies of the girls who played Laura and Nellie on “Little House on the Prairie.”  Laura was really a good actress—I never realized how good until I read her true life story.  She was so different from the sweet little girl she played in the show.  Nellie was very good too—a much nicer person in real life than the character she played in the show.  They were actually good friends in real life!  Both were very interesting books:  A Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert and Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim.

Gerard made a list too:  Gerard's Top 10 Old TV Shows

I liked reading other people's lists so decided to go ahead and post mine too, late as it is.  I wish I knew how others got pictures of the shows or casts in their posts.  If any would like to share their knowledge with me, I'd appreciate it.  (I hesitate copying images from other sites--don't want to do anything illegal.) 

UPDATED 7/10/11:  I found out I can get these pics from Amazon (I am an Amazon associate although I haven't made any money from this, it is a convenient way to post pictures).

15 comments:

Lin said...

I LOVED Little House!! In fact, when I was pregnant, I'd watch it and CRY!! I guess it was the hormones. Hee! Hee! Either way, it was a sweet show, wasn't it?

BeadedTail said...

I always watched Little House on the Prairie too! I loved the books also.

Janelle said...

I'm still hoping Kid Nation comes back. That was great!

Dianna said...

I watched most of the shows on your list -I found you through What Were We Thinking. I also chose this prompt over at Mama Kat's today.

I think what people did to get the pictures from the shows: do a search online for the show. When you see the picture, right click on it and you should be able to "save picture as". Then save it to your computer (be sure to remember what folder), and you can use it in your post. I didn't see anyone give credit on these, but sometimes you'll see "Google image" or "online image" noted on pictures used that way. Good luck!

Dana K said...

I absolutely loved Facts of Life and Family Ties. Great shows.

Chris & I watched Kid Nation, too. It was definitely interesting and, overall, I think it was a good reminder that kids of all ages are much more capable of handling life than we sometimes give them credit for.

Great list!

Anonymous said...

Gilmore Girls rock!!! I just caught one on TBS or some other channel yesterday! I would have to say that and Joan of Arcadia are 2 of my all time favorite shows. I need to make my own list, don't I? Great idea!!!

Jillian K. said...

I love Little House and The Facts of Life. You take the good you take the bad you take them both and then you have the facts of life. Now I have that in my head!

Jodi said...

I like a lot of the same shows! We don't have cable, but I just saw that NetFlix has added Family Ties to their TV collection. I might just have to add it to my queue.

Patrice said...

I loved Little House, too, and I forgot all about Kid Nation!

Unknown said...

yes i too loved little house on the prairie & gilmore girls! great list :)

thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I remember Little House on the Prairie from when I was a kid!!

Margi said...

I love Gilmore Girls, too. I still call that actress Rory when I see her in other things.

Michelle said...

Love all these shows. We LOVED Kid Nation...Just deal with it. I say that sometimes to the kids. Hahahaha.

I think the pictures of movies, songs, etc, are public domain and okay to use. But you really should use amazon links whenever you can. I didn't even think of that.

I think I've made $3 on amazon over the course of 3 years. So yeah, real money maker. LOL

The Silver Age Sara said...

Oh, I love all your choices!!! Some of the best shows that have disappeared. Thank goodness for Netflix!

Unknown said...

facts of life! good one! gotta love family ties hehe :)

Post a Comment