Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Best Game Ever! (Writer's Workshop)


One of my (Gerard's) most memorable sporting events involved my high school football team, the Benedictine Bengals vs. J.F.K. This game was going to decide who was going to win the East Senate and go to the stadium to play on Thanksgiving day for the city championship. I was a junior and knew most of the players on the team. The field was packed with fans on both sides. It was a close game all the way and I yelled myself horse. Benedictine held on a goal line stand and the very next play, our running back broke loose and almost scored. We went on to win, and then won on Thanksgiving Day!

I took a girl to the game, but I enjoyed the game a lot more than her. It was my last date with her even though I bought her a pom-pom. Oh well, Go Bengals!

What is your most memorable sporting event?  Were you a fan of your high school teams?  Are you still?  I Am!


This post was inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: "Write about a memorable sporting event."

Share this:

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Pretty much the only things I enjoyed about the games from High School were the Pep Rally's and the Marching Band. I was a wannabe cheerleader but had no rhythm. :)

Visiting from Mama Kat's.

Stasha said...

Guess that is a recipe on how to make every date memorable: go do something you love so even if the girl turns out not to be your type, the evening is still a success. I always enjoy visiting you two ;)

BeadedTail said...

Glad you enjoyed the game so much! I'm sure you enjoy games much more with Karen!

I remember seeing George Brett close up at a KC Royals game, that was exciting (and a long time ago)! We were also at the Chiefs and Donkeys game at Mile High stadium in 1994 when Joe Montana was the QB and had that great comeback and the Chiefs in the final seconds of the game. That was truly exciting to be able to witness in person!

Unknown said...

My husband loves to watch football. I love to sit with him when he watches them, but I can't tell about a favorite game.

Pitterle Postings said...

My favorite games are always the ones that my kids are playing in. Loved that you did something you loved and had a great time anyway. There is definitely a lesson in that!

Karen said...

Fun! I was in the marching band, so I was at all the home games, in uniform. Now, though, I'm a Seahawks fan! :>

Post a Comment