Friday, July 29, 2011

7 Things We Learned This Week 30 of 2011 (holidays, zoo, food, technology, NFL)

Thanksgiving and Pardoned Turkeys

Over at "We Give Books" I read Pardon That Turkey by Susan Sloate and learned that we have a national Thanksgiving Day because Sarah Halt wrote to five different presidents until finally Abraham Lincoln designated the last Thursday in November. President Bush started a tradition to pardon a turkey and let it live out it's days on a nearby pet farm.

New Bear Cubs

The Cleveland Zoo recently got two Grizzly bear cubs from a zoo in Montana to replace the two they had that died.

TV-Camcorder

I finally tried playing a video from my camcorder on our big screen HD TV and it worked! I plugged the cords into the back had to choose AV button on the remote to view the video I taped of the skit at VBS that our Pastor and his wife did. I still don't know how to get it loaded to the computer from the camcorder. Can anyone tell me how?

What's a Beignet?

Over at "The Canine Beignet Party" in West Africa, Sheba, a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback dog shared about this delicious treat. Beignets are bean donuts deep fried in peanut oil and served with chili powder. The pictures showed a lady making them and the dogs waiting anxiously for these treats!

Eating Tips

Source:  from an email
I got these tips from an email so can't say if they are actually true or not, but it said to eat fruit on any empty stomach or before your meal.
If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities. Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes--all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.
Another thing it said was not to drink cold water right after a meal. Warm water or hot soup is better. If you would like to see the whole email, let me know in a comment and I will forward it to you.

Crackle Nail Polish

There is actually nail polish called Crackle that is made to look like it's chipped. I saw someone wearing it this week.

NFL Lockout

I was so happy to hear the NFL Lockout is over and we will have football this fall. The Browns dumped one of the back up QBs, Jake Delhomme, this week but I really wasn't surprised.

Visit Half-Past Kissin' Time to find more Friday Fragments and to link up some of yours.

Share this:

10 comments:

Daisy said...

Our mom and dad had beignets and coffee with chicory at the famous Cafe du Monde in New Orleans years ago. They were like doughnuts, served covered in powdered sugar!

Ann in the UP said...

Thanks for the heads up about crackle nail polish. I just can't wait to use that!

I'm glad the football stand-off is over and we can get on with making fall plans. Neither of us has been invited to training camp---once again. (I'm mean enough to be a lineman, but I'm really slow.) And Good Guy is too gentle.

Karen said...

I thought of your 7 things we learned post when I told who invented the bumper sticker in my post about Meramec Caverns. I look forward to your 7 things each week.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I don't believe that fruit email thing. Gray hair and balding are largely genetic issues. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with gray hair and balding-- the email mentions them as if they were a disease! But certainly raw, fresh fruit is good for the body. :) Some of my friends have experienced many health benefits from raw food diet.

As for your camcorder-- does it have a memory card? Can you remove the memory card from the camcorder and insert it into the SD card slot in your computer (if it has one)? If not, many camcorders with internal memory (non-removable memory that is stored in the camcorder itself) have a "firewire" connection- you need a firewire cable for that.

Claudya Martinez said...

I've never heard of crackle nail polish, but I've certainly experienced it.

Rachael said...

I got some of the crackle nail polish. It's actually a top coat, so you put on one color, then paint the crackle over and it breaks up so you see the other color coming through. I have it on right now! The funny thing is that because of it's texture it actually helps my polish stay on longer without chipping off!

BeadedTail said...

The pardoned turkey goes to Disneyland before going to a farm and I've seen the last 3 pardoned turkeys there. They were very happy to be there too! :)

Doreen said...

Darn I should have invented crackle nail polish...foiled again!
I just checked out your interview...good stuff. Your trailer made me a little teary since my Dad is so ill...

mub said...

If eating fruit on an empty stomach helps balding then that's all I'm going to ever eat ever again... haha!

Mrs4444 said...

Kendall loves her crackle nail polish. She first puts a beautiful blue color on. Then, she tops it with crackle black, and I have to admit it looks pretty cool. It's not a chipped look, though; more of a "cracked." :)

Happy to be looking forward to football, too! :)

Sorry I can't help you on the camcorder issue. I suppose you'd need a usb cord, for starters, though.

Post a Comment