Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What Distracts You While Driving?


When I read this in the Greater Cleveland Safety Council newsletter it got me thinking about what distracts me while driving:
According to a 2009 National Organizations for Youth Safety and the Allstate Foundation survey, Even though it was proven more dangerous than driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, 68% of teens admit to texting while driving. According to another 2009 study by Car and Driver Magazine, when legally drunk, add four feet to response time; when texting, add 70 feet.

Neither of us drink or text, but for me the biggest distraction while driving is just daydreaming or more accurately, being deep in thought about something. There are times my mind is just not on my driving. Sometimes I'll be thinking about what I should do or sometimes I have been so upset about something that happened that I just don't pay attention to my driving like I should. This especially becomes evident when I go the wrong way because I'm on a familiar stretch of road and the car sort of just goes on auto pilot. I'll forget to turn because my mind is preoccupied.  

What distracts you while driving? Leave a comment and be sure to vote in our survey at the top. (If anyone knows how to insert a poll within a post, please tell me or leave a link to instructions).

Tweet This Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

I like to eat and drive. Not a good idea.... toast w/jam in the morning= sticky wheel.

mountain woman said...

I looked for the place to vote and couldn't find it. Yikes, I'm getting old.

Fiddling with the radio would be number one with me. I've learned to just leave it alone but that wasn't easy.

Sandee said...

Idiot drivers distract me. There are some really rude people out on the roads here. Really rude.

Have a terrific day. :)

tahtimbo said...

I'm with Sandee! When I'm driving, I pay attention to the road, because you never know when some bozo is going to try something stupid.
On a related note, my wife is a much happier person now that she takes the bus into work (the hospital where she works gives all employees a free bus pass. All she has to do is show her badge and walk on). Now, she can listen to the bus drivers rant about the idiots (they have a lot of interesting stories).
Have a great day!

Empty Nester said...

I am mostly distracted by my dog who wants to go everywhere with me and ride on my lap looking out the window. I do this on outings less than a mile on roads with little traffic but can't on the big roads! I used to be distracted by the idiots mentioned above, but I'm so used to them now I hardly notice! LOL

Post a Comment