Sunday, September 28, 2008

Atheists Amaze Me That They Can Actually Deny the Existence of God!

I came across Lee Doyles' blog last week who wrote a poem about how there is no God and that the Bible is just an old out of date book, and that "I’d rather live my life, follow my rules, learn on my own, be free."

I sat stunned and then wrote this comment:

Obviously, you are not seeking after God but He still loves you and seeks after you. To bother writing this shows that you do think about spiritual things, even if at the moment you are discounting them.

You are not the only one who refused to believe something you can’t see. I love this scripture passage in John 20:24-30 because it talks about us who have not seen, yet believe:

24Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.”
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” 29Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” 30Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31But these are written that you may[a] believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. (New International Version)


I give him credit for posting my comment and responding to it with his parents created him (not God) and so they were as close to a god as anything as far as he was concerned. He went on to state that there is no life after death, that's it, the end.

Here is the link to his article if you want to read it for yourself. "To Your God" at http://leedoyle.com. I only ask that if you comment, you do it in love and not in a condemning way. Pray first for God to give you the right words to use.

4 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm off to visit too. I have found several writings during my card dropping by people who don't believe in God. I'm mostly left with a feeling of sorrow for them because they are missing one of the most joyous aspects of life. Faith does take a giant leap and trust and some people just can never get beyond their day to day existence. I think it is a fear of turning their life over to a higher power.
But I admire you for trying to spread the word that there is great joy in believing.

Karen and Gerard said...

Yes, joy comes from God. In fact, it's the fruit of the spirit that I'm focusing on right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for the link.

I have some questions for you.

Why is it we all get given the name Atheists? Just because I do not believe in a God, Gods, or the tooth fairy does not mean I should be given a name. Would you call a baby a atheist? They have no way of believing anything... Would you call my Dog atheist?

Do you belive in ODEN? Zeus? No? Well why dont we give you a name for that... I see no reason to give anyone a name who does not believe in something. I do see a reason to call someone who does believe in a faith a name though.

What I am sort of asking here is it is not up to me to prove there is not a God. It is for you to prove that there is a god... which you cant. As there is nothing there for me to disprove apart from a book which was written many moods ago by a lot of people.. I see no proof and it is you who has the name and not me.

Also:

In the Bible (Which I have read and have gone and still do go to bible studies) it has that your GOD is a jealous GOD. Why is that your GOD would get jealous for me not believing in him? Did he not give us all free will? one of your commentors said that "JOY COMES FROM GOD" and if this is true then it puzzles me that to be given this joy I have to blindly have a faith in something that I can not see, can not hear, can not find any evidence of, and can prove most of his so called BOOK wrong...

Please read this:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

Karen and Gerard said...

Lee--Sorry you are offended when I refer to you as an atheist, but I didn’t make up the word. Atheism is in the dictionary defined as a “disbelief in God’s being.” I can’t explain why there is a label for not believing in the existence of God but not one for not believing in the existence of Zeus. Good question!

I will not attempt to prove to you that there is a God because that is God’s job, not mine. All of nature, people, the world around us declares God’s glory. (Do you think the world just happened?) I Cor. 2:14 states “The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.“ I certainly can pray that God would reveal himself to you which I will do.

You bring up about why God would be jealous if we don’t believe in Him. I think this applies to those who do believe in Him. He wants us to be faithful only to Him, similar to a marriage relationship. That’s the best way I can explain it.

The joy I refer to is a supernatural joy that we get from the Spirit of God. Certainly, people who do not know God can experience happiness and joy. The joy as a fruit of the Spirit is the joy of our salvation, the joy of discovering spiritual truths, the joy of being in close fellowship with God and other believers. Without faith, one cannot come to God and consequently cannot experience that kind of joy.

I read your Earth, Mars, teapot illustration and think you are saying I shouldn’t be shocked by you not believing in the God I believe in because you do not accept the evidence. I guess it’s just hard for me to imagine that a person cannot see God’s handiwork and acknowledge Him.

Post a Comment