Sunday, February 10, 2013

So Much For My Tunewriter


I got this tunewriter for my birthday last December and used it in our computer/music room. It played nice until yesterday morning when I couldn't get any sound for the radio or tape and only minimal sound for the records. I have no idea why all of a sudden, the volume control went capoot! No matter how high I turned it up, it made no difference. Unfortunately, it is past the time for a refund for $237.42. When I called Brookstone's customer service, they agreed to take it back in exchange for a Brookstone gift card since itt has a 1 year warranty. At least they will send me a UPS shipping label to use so I don't have to pay the shipping. 

Why you getting rid of this great box, mom?

I immediately went looking for the box it came in which I had used as part of our kitty condo. The only slight problem is that I had cut a hole in the one side which I covered up with a flap from another box and once again used my trusty duct tape to reinforce the box. Spunky "helped."

So, I am so disappointed and kind of frustrated too that everything seems to be a hassle lately.  It never did make CDs from a tape or record that would play in anything other than my computer and the tunewriter itself.  I did try to copy a record onto a CD because I would do that with all the good records before returning it.  Guess what, that didn't work either!  It showed the tracks when I put it into the computer to play it, but there was no sound.  I regret ever mentioning that I would like one of these.  Oh, and another surprise I got when reading the instruction booklet was this:
WARNING:  This Product may contain chemicals listed in proposition 65 http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list / Newlist.html, that may be known to cause cancer, both defects or other reproductive harm. 
I was tempted to return it as soon as I got it when I read that, but decided to keep it anyhow.  It wasn't like I would be using it all that much, I figured.  Perhaps this is one of those blessings in disguise?  So, okay, out it goes.

At least I still had the box, thanks to my cats!

I didn't realize Spunky Doodle was so attached to this box.  She didn't even go in it when it was part of her kitty condo.  Guess the cats prefer their boxes to be spread out.  I have it all ready to go and just waiting for the UPS label via email.  I didn't want to see it anymore because it's just too depressing. Gerard felt bad too but said I could put his CD/tape player in the computer/music room. I didn't waste any time moving it in!

Do you have a purchase that disappointed you?

Share this:

8 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, that's a shame. :( We have a turntable that you can plug into your computer to make recordings. I'd say that you are probably better off just investing that money into I-tunes and just downloading the songs you want.

They just don't make things like they used to. I know, I sound like my grandpa, but it's true.

I have had bad luck with vacuum cleaners for years--I have been known to open the side door and throw it out...literally...onto the grass. We finally bought an Oreck and it's a DREAM! In fact, we wore one out recently and bought the exact same model to replace it.

Sparkle said...

Poor Spunky! It is always a day of mourning when a kitty loses a box.

Kara said...

Oh Karen. That's terrible. :( So frustrating when things don't work like they should!

I haven't bought anything recently that I had that happen with. But at work, I can never get our fax machine to work right for me. I can't count the times I go to use it and it jams up or has to clean itself first or something else equally time-consuming. Of course when my office mates go to use it, it works just fine! So for some reason, it just doesn't like me. The others have noticed my dilemma, so it's not just in my head. Ugh. Machines can be so irritating!

momto8blog said...

oh...when i was nursing m babies in the middle of the night I would watch infomercials...the products looked and sounded so good! then when I got them..oh my gosh...why?!!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Anonymous said...

It's so frustrating when new things have such disappointing quality. Sounds like it was just as well though, with that Prop warning. Better luck with your next purchase. :)

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Sorry to hear about that! And sorry for Kittie to that the condo had to be dismantled and shipped off!!

Better luck with whatever you get with your gift card,

Wags to all,

Your pal Snoopy :)

BeadedTail said...

That's too bad it never worked for you and that Spunky Doodle lost a box too. Hopefully you both can get something else you enjoy more!

Karen said...

You have had some huge expenses! We bought a car last week so I feel very poor!

We have spent so much money on our pets but they are our babies. I'm just glad we could do it.

Post a Comment