Friday, January 20, 2012

5 Things We Learned This Week 3 of 2012


Friday Fragments are just some items that aren't substantial enough for an entire post and is hosted by Mrs4444 over at Half-Past Kissin' time where you can find more and link up your own.
  1. This Mortal Life

    One of my blogging buddies, Rebecca, has started a new blog which is completely different from her other seven. No advertising, no one telling her what to write about and very educational! She is writing about her passions: art, music, history and literature. She calls it "This Mortal Life" and explains all about her unique blog header and choosing her pseudonym (Polyhymnia) in The Muse post.
  2. No More "Chunky" Spunky

    Spunky Doodle visited the vet last Saturday and was declared "healthy, just right weight, and looking good." The vet was impressed with how shiny her coat was and how white her teeth were. He did suggest I try using gauze on my finger to "brush" her teeth instead of the brush, we'll see. Cost of routine comprehensive exam: $82 (and that was with a $10 discount).
  3. List Post Mistakes

    I read Six Easily Preventable Mistakes Bloggers Make With List Posts and I noticed that I make two every week with this post: No introduction and unnumbered items, so I will correct these things.
  4. Ruby Bridges

    The best post I found for Martin Luther King Day was How We Celebrate Martin Luther King Day At Our House. They watch a movie, about Ruby Bridges and included part 1 of her story with a YouTube video. This is it:

    I never heard of Ruby Bridges before but this video looked so good, I immediately ordered the book and DVD from the library.
  5. Punch in the Nose

    When we talked to a neighbor about our dog and Gerard being attacked by two big Rottweilers this early this week, he said the best way to get the dog to let go would be to punch it in the nose.  Dog bites take a long time to heal.  Abby wrote an update for you:  On The Road To Recovery.


Share this:

12 comments:

HH and The Boys said...

Thanks for the update.... Have a great weekend.

pawhugs, Max

Ann in the UP said...

Hearty congratulations to Spunky! Our cats are all due for vet visits and shots, so I'll have to work that into the budget next month.

We have two slim cats, and one bohemoth. GG says he's just fluffy---like a football lineman is fluffy.

Unknown said...

Isn't visiting the vet loads of fun? Our puppy has cost us a fortune between actually buying her, shots, doggy boot camp (a 3 week event in which I loved not actually having her around even though it cost me a thousand dollars...how awful is that?), many many toys and beds (and even a second kennel) because she destroys everything, shots and a hospital stay (twice).

Can you tell I'm so over having gotten a dog??

I hope the dog bites heal soon, that sounds painful.

Happy Friday!

Barbara said...

our new girl, Suki, is a tad on the chunky side. She came to us that way. I have to admit, that after watching our sweet Oliver dwindle away before he passed, I'm enjoying seeing some meat on a cat.

Kay said...

Oh no, they got attacked?? I carry something with me and have thought of getting mace. How scary that must have been!!! How are the bites going now? How did your dog fair?

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Well, I do love chunky kitties, but I"m proud of Spunky being a healthy weight ;) :) Such a cute kitty.

I've seen the movie "Ruby Bridges" It's a fantastic film. There's one scene, if I remember correctly, where the crowds are prpotesting outside the school. She's walking up the steps, turns around and yells something to the crowd. Later you find out she's yelling something like "Forgive them Father, because they don't know what they're doing" Anyway, that's a great film :) :)

I hope that GErard and Abby heal quickly!!! What will happen to the dogs that attacked them? Will they have to be put down?

Greetings from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Keetha Broyles said...

Sometimes I say "bah humbug!" to the "blogging experts."

I NEVER number my fragments - - - though I have been known to number other things.

And an introduction may or may NOT be all it's cracked up to be!

;)

Sharkbytes said...

You can hurt a dog badly hitting it hard across the nose. If the dog is biting you, it's definitely the place to aim for, because it will get results. However, it's really hard to aim well when you or the dog you are attached to is being bitten, dragged, and tangled. So glad everyone seems to be improving.

BeadedTail said...

You've had quite a week! Yay for Spunky Doodle having such a beautiful figure now! Dog bites are horrible to heal up so we hope Gerard feels better soon and sure hope Abby is doing better today too!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I'm so glad to hear Abby is doing well, but I was concerned that Gerard's hand was still puffy. Is it any better tonight? Keep an eye on infection and make sure he keeps it clean. ;) We love you, Gerard, make sure you take care of yourself and you listen to Karen when she makes you rest or see the doctor! :D You don't want us all to come to Ohio and make you get better now do you? lol that's the mom in me.

THANKS for your kind words about my blog!!! It was such a surprise. Thank you so much for your support. I've been feeling a little low and it lifted my spirits.

That's very cool about the punch in the nose. I always thought if a dog attacked me, I'd poke its eye but that might be a little hard since it's such a small target. I'll remember that. I hope I never have to do it, though!

Lin said...

You've got to really watch for infection with bites. I hope Gerard and Abby are doing better as I type this. I would think that if you can aim--going for the eyeballs would be key.

Please keep us informed how Abby is doing.

Mrs4444 said...

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry to hear about the dog attack. That's one of my fears about a neighbor's Rottweiler, who is just six months old or so, but they treat him so poorly that he's always barking and seems very afraid in his own yard. Plus, they keep him outside a lot, it seems (I hear him barking often.) It's WISCONSIN, you fools! I guess I should call the authorities.

I didn't see this in the list post, but I think the biggest mistake to make in list post is having too many items. I never read lists beyond 10 items.

Thanks for linking up! Have a great weekend. Off to catch up!

Post a Comment