Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Laundry Problems Solved, Clogged Drain and All!

Since I started doing the laundry while I was home all day on short-term disability, I noticed some problems. I am pleased to report that I have solved all these problems on my own! Here is how I did it:

  1. The washer didn't drain all the way--clothes were soaking wet.

  2. The draining hose that comes out of the back of the washer and hangs on the wash tub that the water comes out of had fallen too low. It has to be up so I pulled it up higher and it worked! Now I just have to get some duct tape to put around it to keep it up so it doesn't fall down again.

  3. The wash tub took forever to drain and was almost all the way to the top.

  4. This is the best solution to a clogged drain--easy, inexpensive, no chemicals and no plumber needed! How about that for a good solution? I actually got an email with this tip in it so decided to give it a try. Are you ready? Okay, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. You put three Alka-Seltzer tablets in the drain, then pour 1 cup of Heinz White Vinegar into the drain. Wait just a few minutes and then run some hot water after it. This was a very clogged up drain and I had serious doubts if this would work. I was tempted to do another dose, but decided to just wait and see if it worked and when I did the wash on Friday, there was no water at all sitting in that wash tub!

  5. The dryer took forever to dry the clothes and we often had to put them in for another half hour!
  6. .
    Yes, our dryer is old and the minute section for drying doesn't work. I finally remembered my dad saying how on his dryer, the minute part didn't work but the heavy, regular, delicate cycles did. Although we don't have my dad's dryer (it's the one Gerard had before we were married), I thought I'd give it a try on the "regular" setting and it worked. The clothes were finally dry!


Now, our next problem is the basement lighting in the laundry room. The light bulb with the string pull quit on me and even when I changed the bulb, it didn't work. Until I can get an electrician to fix our lighting down there, I am just going to use a lamp.

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

6 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Isn' it funny when you finally enjoy doing a chore like laundry when everything gets fixed? SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

From Ninja Turtles to Pasta Sauce Raphael

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

You're quite the handy person. That's awesome! I'm sure you feel really good about yourself for doing this - I know I would. :)

Have a great day!

Sandee said...

You are very handy around the house. Good for you. I'm glad you have resolved all these issues. Now to that pesky light in the laundry room.

Have a terrific day Karen. :)

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm glad you figured everything out and it's best not to mess with electrical repairs unless you are skilled.
I learned quite a bit of handywoman advice today :-)

Anonymous said...

I told my husband and he can't wait to try it on the bathroom drain. We seem to always have a clog somewhere!

Thank you!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Melissa B.--Yes, it's nice doing chores when things work like they should. I think we get spoiled sometimes and take these appliances for granted.

Fruitful Vine2: Yes, it did make me feel really good. I yelled, "It worked! It Worked! Hey Gerard . . ."

Sandee: I'm not really all that handy. I actually got this tip about unclogging the drain with Alka Seltzer and vinegar from an email and when your husband isn't handy at all, someone has to step up and take care of things and it's not the cats. The electrical problem I solved by just using a lamp instead.

Mountain Woman: Glad I could be of help. I don't mess with the electrical things--just set up a lamp to use instead.

The Girl Next Door Grows Up: I'm sure it will fix your drain. Ours was really clogged up bad!

Post a Comment