Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hubby To The Rescue

Last Tuesday when I got to my desk I realized that I forgot my keys--uh oh! Not only did I forget my keys and my cell phone. They were all sitting on top of my dresser right where i left them. Normally, I wear pants with pockets and put that stuff into my pockets as soon as I get dressed. That morning, however, I decided to wear one of my nice pantsuits that didn't have pockets and my thought was to put that stuff in my jacket. I just forgot to do that--oops!

So, I called Gerard at work and explained the situation. I had to get to my radiation treatment at 2:15 so couldn't just wait for him to get home at 4:30 p.m. He was so nice and said, "no problem." I'll leave here at 9:15 (his morning break time) and put your keys in the mailbox or give them to Joe (our neighbor across the street who is retired). I apologized for asking him to leave work to do this but he just kept saying not to worry about it, things happen. I guess he remembered how he felt when he locked his keys in the car last winter.

When I got home, Joe was on the phone but left my keys on the floor right by the door so I could get them easily and be on my way. Fortunately, the rest of the day went as planned. I was just glad I realized that I had forgotten them early in the day and not when I got home. I would have had to go begging a neighbor to take me to my treatment then and would have really felt stupid! So glad I had my husband to come to my rescue (and he was so nice about it)!

Anyhow, this is why I like pants with pockets in them. I have quite a few nice pantsuits that I hardly wear because they don't have pockets. That's also another reason why I don't wear dresses or skirts much either anymore.

Would your husband have been as nice? Do you prefer pants with pockets too? Have you ever locked yourself out of the house?

I linked up this old post for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: Write about a time you or someone you know saved the day.

10 comments:

Daisy said...

The fact that he helped you without making you feel bad about it is the best part. It's great to have someone that you can unfailingly count on to come through for you.

Sandee said...

Yes, my hubby would have been this nice too. I think I've got the best husband out there, but I'll admit I'm very biased.

I don't carry a purse. Where I live you get knocked in the head and they will steal it. I do have pockets in most of my pants so I've got places to put things. I don't have a cell phone anymore. Thank God for that, so I don't carry too much.

Have a terrific day. :)

The Bumbles said...

Wow - I don't want to live where Sandee does. I have a purse with all my everyday needs. But that still doesn't keep me from leaving it behind! I locked it in my car once at the grocery store. Thankfully one of the last remaining pay phones on Earth was nearby and I was able to call Andy who drove on over with my spare car key. Aren't we lucky to have such great hubbies?!

BeadedTail said...

That was nice of Gerard to get your keys to the neighbor for you. My husband would have done that too and it's very comforting to know we can count on them isn't it? I've never left my keys at home but have locked them in the car before but thank goodness for keyless entry so I could get in anyway! As long as I don't forget the code of course!

Lin said...

Oh, how sweet of Gerard to help you like that! I'm not sure I'd do the same for my husband--especially not so joyfully anyway!

I don't put anything in my pockets--god gave me too much junk in the trunk to be able to pull that off.

Homestay Mama said...

Yeah, I locked myself out of my house once. I went to the neighbors and asked one of the teens to help me, thinking they could crawl through a window. Instead, they used a credit card--slipped it in between the door and the jam and in less than a minute the door popped right open! And my eyes popped out in amazement! Needless to say, I keep the dead bolt on that door locked at all times, now!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I need pockets. I always have something stuffed in them and I rarely carry a purse.
Mountain Man would have been as kind as Gerard but I have to admit nothing is ever locked here.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Sweet story... let's see, I don't currently have a husband, so I can't answer your first question, but I hope if I marry again, I'll pick someone who's nice like that! :)

I usually wear pants with pockets but I rarely use the pocket. Sensitive about my hips and don't like to add extra girth.

Of course I've locked myself out of the house! Who hasn't. Once, when they were really little, I locked the kids in and myself out.. that was fun! (FTR, my ex WOULD have come home but he worked 45 minutes away and with an infant and a toddler in the house, I didn't think I should wait that long.)

Catching the Magic said...

Hurray for pants with pockets definitely! And hurray for wonderful husbands.

I locked myself out once and had to call a locksmith - he ended up holding my baby whilst I managed to climb in through a bathroom window!

Dropping by from Mama Kat's :)

Tiffany said...

Why do clothing companies seem to think that women need little to no pockets on their skirts/dresses/pants/etc?

Love that your Husband was so genuinely kind about the situation, mine would have grumbled and taken his time... I'd like to think he's more caveman than modern man.

Post a Comment