Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Let's Try This Again--Bloodwork Take 2!

I put on My Grumpy Old Bear
shirt and did a FB post
Any Medical appointment stresses me out and our annual checkup is no exception.  Yesterday, the technician tried three times to take my blood with no success before giving up.  Not only that, but it hurt too!  She blew two veins and made a scratch on my hand when she yanked it out.  Then, she put a stretchy bandage on my arm and hand so I couldn't even move my arm much.  I took those off as soon as I got home and replaced it with normal band-aids.  I missed playing pickleball because of this appointment so I wasn't happy to begin with, but this got me mad because now I have to try again today at the lab at UH Hospital so have to fast again!  I gave thanks to God that this is my biggest problem, compared to what other people go through, this really is no big deal--actually just a huge inconvenience.

Fortunately, I am also thankful that: 

(1) UH Hospital is very close to my house.

(2) Their lab for bloodwork opens at 6:30 a.m. so I drank 4.5 bottles water after I got up and arrived at 6:33.  I was back home at 7:03 and ate breakfast--Yay!  

(3) I didn't have to wait long at all. 

(4) The Lab person was sympathetic and nice about having to do extra work by calling my doctor's office for a new order because the technician there screwed up and put the labels on the bottles before actually getting the blood.  Consequently, it showed as already being done in the system.

(5)  She got blood expertly on the first try without any problem; moreover, it didn't hurt at all!  Not even a little when she put in the needle.

(6) The whole experience gave me a blog post.

4 1/2 Empty Bottles before 6:30 a.m.
They say it helps to drink water before the blood draw so I drank tons of water this morning before I left, even more than the 2 1/2 that I drank yesterday.  I wanted to do whatever, to be sure they could get it this second try.

This is not the first time this happened.  It happened once to my husband and once to me before so next year, I will ask the doctor for the order and go right to UH that same day to get the blood drawn by the experts there.  Since that's what they do all day, they are way better at it!

Thus, my verse of the day is I Thessalonians 5:18 which says:  In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.  

Related posts you might like:

Our Worst Annual Chcckup Ever!

How One Phone Call Ruined My Day--Blindsided!


2 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm glad Take 2 was better. I had that happen once, I never went back to that place.

Lynn and Precious said...

Hello, nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by today.
I used to donate blood, but I stopped about 10 years ago
as the Red Cross personnel were getting worse about taking
blood effiecently and quickly. Thank goodness my doctor's office
has not had this happen yet. Lynn

Post a Comment