Monday, February 28, 2011

Our Favorite Reads For February 2011

Abby's and Gerard's favorite was Rose In the Storm by Jon Katz. WOW!  What a book!  Rose in a Storm by Jon Katz is about Rose, a working dog on a farm and her owner, Sam.  Rose has a lot of work to do as there are a lot of animals on the farm to look after.  Rose tells the story which is very cool.  One day a huge storm comes and Rose is put into a situation she has never been in before.

I felt a lot of emotion while reading this book which to me says that is a really good book! Rose is a wonderful dog that the reader can't help but love. I think anyone would enjoy this book, especially dog lovers. The best part is that it has a good ending--the dog lives! I cried when I read Dewey, The Library Cat and cried at the end of this book too--yes, it's that good! Karen is going to read it as well.

I picked this one as my favorite because it was so moving I cried but also really liked Left Neglected by Lisa Genova and Secrets To The Grave by Tami Hoag very much.

Karen's favorite was Breaking Night although she also liked Left Neglected and Secrets To The Grave.  It was a hard choice.

WOW!  What an interesting book filled with insight into poverty, homelessness and drug addictionBreaking Night is the memoir of Liz Murray who shares about her life of living with her drug addicted parents, her effort to protect her parents who both contracted AIDS, living at a group home, her dependence on friends while homeless, her determination to go back to school and change her life.  This is a very good book!  It is so hard for me to fathom people actually living like she did.

Breaking Night shows that a person can change in spite of one’s circumstances if they make good choices and work hard.  It is about family relationships, forgiveness, friendship, judging by appearances, survival, overcoming obstacles and being responsible.  Liz overcame many obstacles and found herself with a scholarship from The New York Times and was accepted at Harvard!  She is now a motivational speaker helping others get their life on track and is now working with a small team of people to open Broome Street Academy, a high schools for homeless teens in September of 2011.  Liz is a remarkable person!

This is an inspirational book that I highly recommend!  Her website is Manifest Living.  I also enjoyed the movie on Lifetime that was based on this book.

It was very hard to choose this month. Both of us read several very good books and hope you will check out our book blog (tab is above to take you right there).

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard

3 comments:

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Thanks for the awesome book reviews. All of those books sound interesting. I think my dad would like the first one you mentioned, because he loves dogs. He's always telling me stories of "Tiger"...his pet beagle as a kid :) :) While I haven 't read "Dewey, The Library Cat" yet, I'm very familiar with the story from tv news ;) :) Greetings from Oregon, Heather :)

BeadedTail said...

I'm always leary of books about animals since I cry so easily but I might try reading this one since your review sounds so good. Karen's book sounds really good too. I can't wait until I have more stamina at night to read more than two paragraphs before falling asleep. Tax season is not a very productive time for me to read.

Karen and Gerard said...

Karen is currently read "Rose in the Storm" now and enjoying it very much! It's really neat learning about the farm and seeing how the animals communicate with each other. The dog is amazing, running the farm, protecting the animals and even feeding them when her owner, Sam, is injured and air lifted to the hospital. The dog takes care of the farm all on her own. I especially liked the wife's special relationship with Rose. That part reminded me of Abby and me.

Post a Comment