Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Bit Of Country Right In Parma!

For all you fans of the country, this post is for you! Right in the middle of Parma, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio is a 48-acre farm! It is just a little ways past Parmatown Mall right on a busy road, just 15 minutes from our home. It is operated by the Parma Area Historical Society. The Stearns house is circa 1855 and the Gibbs house was built in 1920. Both houses are operated as museums with furnishings appropriate to the era. I didn't go inside the barn so didn't get to see the rabbits.



The country store reminded me of the store on "Little House On The Prairie"--they even had a counter of penny candy! I walked around the grounds taking pictures of the animals while Gerard and Abby stayed out front since they said she may make the animals nervous. She got lots of pets from the workers in the store and other visitors as they arrived.

Here is the slideshow that I took when I visited it on our vacation last week. I was surprised they had so many animals in the back.





Tweet This
Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

4 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

I loved the video. The house looks like a Vermont farm house and I would go crazy shopping in the country store. I love penny candy. The turkey looks like a Red Bourbon to me and he was so elegant strutting his stuff. What fun Karen!

BeadedTail said...

Looks like a fun place to visit! I'd have fun checking out the store and of course all those animals! The pig with his head in the mud was cute!

Rebecca said...

Great post! I love love love those living history places. We have many of these kinds of places to visit in Upstate New York. I love them all. :D

The historical marker at the beginning of the slideshow was very interesting! I didn't know other states had such markers; it's nice to know they do. I am one of those people who, when seeing one on the side of the road, stops to read them.

tahtimbo said...

I would love to visit a place like that. I could easily spend a day or two wandering around and looking at the animals. That house is just fantastic!
I would want to just sit under a tree and look at the buildings and try to imagine the history behind everything. Oops, the history major in me is showing.

Post a Comment