Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Falling Bricks and Bus Adventure In One Day!

Some of the Bricks that fell the day before.
On Monday, when I went out walking on my break, the PNC bank building at the corner of  E. 6th and Vincent lost some bricks from the top corner of it.  They came crashing down into the street and on the sidewalk below.  I actually walk down this street sometimes when I go to work or when I go out walking on my break.  Fortunately, no one was hurt which is pretty amazing.  There was a LOT, it was a much bigger pile than what is shown in this picture above--they covered a good section of the street when it first happened.  I didn't have my camera with me Monday, so took some pictures the next morning.  I found myself walking on the sidewalk close to the street rather than right next to the buildings.

Top of the building that fell apart
You can see in this picture where the top of the building broke off.  The road was closed and emergency vehicles and police cars were all over.  Traffic going home from work was terrible because drivers would block the intersection so no one could get through.

Tall building
My bus sat for 30 minutes in traffic trying to get through the intersection.  It started raining too which did not help.  Those of us waiting for the bus cheered when it finally made it through.  It was half an hour late coming and then, we just go a couple blocks and the driver announces that her shift is over, she's not going to drive in this traffic any more and is going home.  She called for another bus driver to come but there were no free drivers available.  We just sat for about another 20 minutes or so for the next bus to come.

I didn't really mind too much because I called to let Gerard know I'd be late, I had a book to read and no plans to go anywhere when I got home.  One of the other lady passengers went on a tirade though, yelling at the bus driver saying she's the worst driver she ever had!  She kept going on and on about how if she has to work late, she does.  She kept on rambling about how awful RTA is and how she would never get away with that attitude on her job.

I thought it was hilarious. 

Joining in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop with the prompt:  Tell us about a local news story that's all a buzz in your neck of the woods right now.

Share this:

3 comments:

Sandee said...

Glad no one was hurt. That could have been awful.

Loved the lady on the bus. An idiot actually. The bus driver can't do what she can't do.

Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the babies. ☺

Lin said...

We are used to ice falling off buildings in Chicago---so I appreciate the danger. But to have such chaos is crazy!

What is with that driver?! That's nuts. I love that she can just ditch her bus and go home. Wow. I'm guessing they are union drivers, right?

Karen and Gerard said...

Lin--Don't know if the bus drivers are in a union or not but I think so.

Post a Comment