Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Bus Blessing

My new year's resolution this year was to be a blessing to someone each day. Some days go by that I think, well, I can't really think of who I blessed today, but today is not one of them.

I take the bus to and from work everyday with pretty much the same group of people. I am a quiet, reserve person, and usually just stick my nose in a book when I sit down and keep it there until it's time to get off. Yesterday was no different, but as I was getting off, I saw a hat in the seat where one of the regular riders had sat.


My mind flashed back to when I left my umbrella on the bus and never did get it back, so instead of giving the hat to the driver to turn in to lost and found, I picked it up and took it with me with the resolve to give it back to the gentlemen in the morning.


Today when I brought the hat back, the man's eyes just lit up and he was so grateful that we even had a nice chat! His first words were "God is good." He told me he prayed that God would bless the person who took it and that he would get it back. He said prayer works and is powerful. I said I knew and told him I was a believer too. It turned out he knows my brother-in-law and was neighbors with a couple I know from church.


We introduced ourselves finally after riding the bus together for almost a year together. His name is Vic and the girl who always sits next to him is Anna. I gave him a bookmark that has a picture of the book I wrote on it and that tells about it on the back ("My Funny Dad, Harry"). I told him I wrote about my dad and how God worked in my life and will bring a copy along with me tomorrow to show him. (Of course, I hope he buys it.)


Is there something in your life today that you are concerned about--turn it over to God in prayer!


Philippians 4:6&7 Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requsts to God. And the peace of god, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Now go and be a blessing to someone today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment