Monday, May 15, 2017

Missing Manny Boy - He Was a Wonderful Cat!


Mother's Day was sad for us this year because we made the difficult decision to let our very affectionate cat, Manny, cross the Rainbow Bridge.  He had several health issues develop in the last year or so and things just kept getting worse.  I could see him losing weight before my eyes!  His eating was up and down but the last couple days he couldn't keep anything down and quit trying even on Sunday.  It was very sad, but I know in my heart it was the right thing to do.  I did not want him to die alone or get so bad that he couldn't even stand anymore so I had a lot of quality time with him laying on me on the couch before church, while I watched a movie and the Indians game.  We said our farewells at home and then we took him around 4:00 p.m. to the vet to be put out of his misery.

I knew I'd miss him a lot, but boy, this morning was even worse than I expected because morning was our special time together.  He followed me everywhere!  It felt strange not getting food for him this morning and not petting him while he rolled around the bathroom floor waiting for me.  I missed him while had my devotions and exercised up in the den.  He would always be near by and I'd pet him while I exercised, but not this morning.  Then he used to climb on my lap while I ate my breakfast, letting me pet him some more but not this morning.  If I'd go on the computer, he would either climb up and share the chair with me or lay on my lap.  If I'd lay on the couch, up he'd come or if I sat in a chair reading a book, he would lay on my lap.

I told Spunky Doodle she's going to have to step up now and let me pet her more now that Manny is gone.  She is doing a good job so far and is at the floor next to me.  I'm sure she misses him too!

Manny brought us much joy during the nine years we had him and he will always have a special place in our hearts(we got him when he was 3 from a friend who was unable to keep him). He really did become "Mr. Nice Nice" as I predicted he would even though we got off to a rocky start: See "Bringing in a New Cat."

Share this:

7 comments:

Summer said...

I'm so sorry about Manny. :-( Purrs to you.

The Florida Furkids said...

We're so sorry about Manny. We're sending healing purrs and prayers to you.


The Florida Furkids and Mom Sharon

Beth Ann said...

I am so very sorry. I know this has to be so very difficult and not what you wanted to do but the right thing. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandee said...

It's so hard to lose our babies. I'm so sorry for the both of you.

Have a blessed day. ☺

Kathe W. said...

so very sad-BUT remember him with smiles and also remember how lucky he was with you!

Lin said...

Don't expect too much from Spunky..they are what they are. After Grace died, I almost resented Hobbes--he was such a jerk. But, that is who he is, Grace just covered for him. We finally had to adopt Owen to take the pressure off Hobbes to be what he wasn't or couldn't be. It is much better now and everyone is happier.

I have already left messages on your FB page. Just know that I am thinking about you these days. Hugs to you, dear friend!

Karen said...

Thanks, all. Lin: Our little Spunky Doodle misses him too--I find her spending lots of time in Manny's favorite places and in the carrier where she saw him last! She has been coming near me more when I'm home than she used to, but still not climbing on me like Manny used to do. I'm grateful though that at least she hangs nearby and will play with the ping pong ball on the stairs with me sometimes.

Post a Comment